Using The French Clay Cleansing Bar

Welcome to the follow-up on the French Clay Cleansing Bar for face and hair. I have been using the bar for about 10 days as I write this. Here's what I've learned so far...

Storage Tip

Because this is a preservative-free product, it's highly recommended to keep the bar dry. Slicing off 'per-application' sized pieces allows you to have a few days supply handy while keeping the product dry and happy.

Using the Bar as a Facial Cleanser

For one application to face and neck you will need approx half a teaspoon. Moisten the face and neck. Soften the cleansing bar by rubbing it between your palms, then apply and gently massage your face and neck in upward strokes. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.

Because this product is a simple mix of clay and fats, it both cleanses and moisturises. If you have a tendency to drier skin in the winter months or your skin normally feels 'taut' after cleansing, this could very quickly become your fave cleanser. I've been in love with it for my evening cleanse and will definitely be making another bar when this one is finished.

Using the Bar as a Hair Cleanser

Lola swears by these bars as the perfect shampoo for coily-kinky-curly hair.

Even though I don't come even the teensiest bit close to qualifying as coily, kinky, or curly-haired, I had to give this a try and followed her suggested method:
Wet hair.
Rub bar between hands and apply, massaging the product from hands along hair and scalp. Rinse thoroughly.

How it Worked on My Hair

The result of how this worked is pictured below. My husband asked me if I had applied 'old-fashioned pomade' (I believe this is the equivalent of the American product Brylcreem). I did actually did look like I belonged at a grease-fest (but note the healthy glow of the forehead – very moisturized!).

I left my hair this way all day, just to see how it felt about the whole situation and if it planned on doing anything dramatic. No change. It felt just like it looks in the picture – all day. When I finally broke down and shampooed it (about 10 hours later), both scalp and hair looked and felt absolutely fabulous.



Conclusion: This is too fatty for my hair as a stand-alone cleansing product, but great for use as a hair-and-scalp conditioning mask.

Have you made yourself a cleansing bar yet? It's easy peasy! Find the how-to right here, and then promise to share how you use it and what you think!

Comments

Lola Zabeth said…
Hey Lise! These look good enough to eat:) But so sorry you were left with a 'greasefest' :( Yes, way too fatty, definitely.

I have yet to use the bars on my face, but that is next on my list!
LisaLise said…
Lola, this was a great learning experience and really did help me to get a feeling for what does work for coily kinky curly hair, so I chalk this one up to research. One day of greasefest never hurt anybody. (Lucky I didn't have any meetings that day)
Unknown said…
What would you use as a preservative for selling? What do you think of optihen?
LisaLise said…
Hi Jill, If you are planning on making these for sale it is wisest to include a preservative in the recommended amount. Your supplier will be able to advise.
mari. said…
hallo Lisa, where can I find your recipe of the french clay cleansinbg bar ? I can not find it in your posts
LisaLise said…
Hey there Mari -- Thanks for your comment. For reasons unknown, the link at the bottom of this post stopped working, but I have fixed it now. Try again and it should whisk you straight to the post. :)